Note posted 9.5.17: The pages from the site for the book are being moved to Understanding the Horse (here). This process will take some time to complete. Thank you for your patience.
“The Science of Riding with Feel: Horse Biomechanics and You” is the book about horse biomechanics you need and want, that you’ve asked for. Written by a biomechanics research scientist and professional horsewoman, the project has been 10 years in the making, the last 2 in research, writing, and illustration planning. Now, with your help, we can deliver the book and its free companion workbook to the horse community in 2015.
Explore these pages to learn what’s in the book, why we wrote it, how we plan to publish it, and how you can participate. Partners will be publicly honored (with your horse at some levels!), and you can even receive personal instruction in horse biomechanics as our thanks for more extensive levels of participation.
- Everyone who makes a donation of just $1 to support the book’s publication in our Kickstarter campaign gets a say about which horse breeds and riding or driving styles are used in its illustrations.
- Find out why the book was written, who it’s for, and why we say it’s a book for the whole horse community.
- Learn what’s in the book — and in the companion Workbook that will be available online for free download.
- Read the Introductory Chapter to see how we approach the subject and why you’ll enjoy every moment of learning real horse biomechanics from authors Dawn Hill Adams, Ph.D. and clinician/trainer Jo Belasco, Esq.
- See samples of the over 100 illustrations in the book.
- Learn about the scientist and the horsewoman whose collaboration produced this fascinating book, and why they are uniquely qualified to explain horse biomechanics in a way that helps every rider develop feel.
- Use your horse, your cell phone camera, and a straight-edge to launch a revolution in horse biomechanics that hasn’t been seen since Muybridge first managed to photograph a horse with all its feet off the ground at the same time during a gallop (as shown in the image to the right).
- Get an autographed advance copy of the book through our Kickstarter campaign, from now through September 13.
“The Science of Riding With Feel: Horse Biomechanics and You” combines real biomechanics with real riding in the book horsepeople have been waiting for, asking for, and deserve.
Learn more about our clinics, lessons, and seminars at Understanding the Horse, LLC.